More and more innovative companies view their carbon footprint as an integral part of their corporate responsibility. But there are also several tangible business reasons for reducing and offsetting GHG emissions that have led companies such as PricewaterhouseCoopers, Grand & Toy, DundeeWealth and NATIONAL Public Relations to offset with Planetair:
- Cost Savings: Improved energy practices can result in substantial cost savings, making the company more competitive and stimulating innovation.
- Competitive Advantage: Carbon management programs are a way to differentiate products or services in a crowded marketplace and increase market share - for example, carbon neutral courier services, or businesses with energy efficient head offices. These initiatives can also increase brand loyalty, and build goodwill with employers, customers, suppliers, communities, and other stakeholders.
- Reduced Liabilities, Increased Assets: Carbon emissions can be liabilities and reductions assets just like on a balance sheet, especially in light of the advent of carbon markets.
- Leadership Experience: As the world moves ever further along the climate change continuum, legislation on carbon emissions is becoming more likely. Early adapters are likely to benefit from being leaders: Companies can gain practical experience with measuring, reporting, & reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and also with purchasing offsets. These skills will be very useful to companies in a carbon-constrained economy.
- Investor Relations: Investors are increasingly screening businesses for their environmental impacts, and indices that take corporate responsibility into account such as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index or the FTSE4good are becoming more influential.
- Risk Management: Your business will likely be affected by climate change. Is this a risk you want to contribute to? Staying ahead of government greenhouse gas regulations means less compliance risk, and also less cost (as reductions are generally less expensive to implement before regulations come into effect). Taking responsibility for greenhouse gas emissions also means more investor confidence and less market risk (e.g. consumer boycotts).
- Image & The Workplace: The public is becoming increasingly aware of the magnitude and impacts of climate change. As customers, their opinion matters. And as employees, they will be prouder working for an employer that is acting against climate change. Employees like working for a company that demonstrates itself as a leader and a good corporate citizen, and working together on an energy use reduction effort can build and reinforce office teamwork. Many energy efficiency programs result in improved workplace environments (e.g. daylighting) and therefore increased productivity.
- Reputation: A credible, properly communicated commitment to reducing your company’s climate footprint will improve your reputation.
Sending a representative to a meeting? Organizing an event or a conference? Want to reduce the impact of your electricity bill? Or even go completely climate neutral? Reducing your business’ carbon footprint will ground your company’s sustainability record on concrete, measurable actions, and Planetair can help you achieve it. We will supply you with communications tools, a carbon-neutral certificate, and can help you communicate your environmental leadership.